Every home needs a clean and healthy water supply.
Depending on the source of the water, you may be inadvertently consuming heavy metals, sediment, germs, and chemicals like chlorine.
A whole house water filtration system or faucet/undercover filter can remove many of these unwanted contaminants by using various sophisticated filtration methods, including kinetic degradation fluxion, carbon, and ultraviolet light.
How to Choose a Water Filtration System
Choosing a water filter depends on your requirements and budget. It’s important to consider the flow rate, maintenance requirements, and ease of maintenance.
A long-lasting whole-house water filtration system can cost upwards of $2000, so it’s important to consider the brand you choose carefully.
If you want to be 100% sure that the water filter you’ve chosen will remove the contamination from your drinking water, you should consider having your water tested professionally to determine the source.
We’ve done some research and found some of the water filter systems on the market for you to peruse.
Our top choice, HALO 5, is maintenance-free and easy to install while guaranteeing that your tap water will be contaminant-free and as pure as bottled water.
The Best Water Filter Systems on the Market
A water filter will keep sediments, chemicals, and even bad smells from your home.
Some whole-house water filters are better than others when it comes to well water or hard water, so make sure that the whole-house water filter system you choose is suitable for cleaning your home’s water supply and meeting your water quality needs.
Here are our top recommendations.
1. HALO 5
- HALO 5 is a maintenance-free whole house five-stage filtration system that can soften hard water and remove chlorine.
- It can both dissolve and prevent scale, inhibit corrosion, and prevent chlorine damage at the same time.
- No chemicals are added. Instead, the HALO 5 Media bed provides high filtration and removes all traces of chloramines and chlorine from your drinking water.
- The system filters your household water in several stages.
- First, NSF-certified acid-washed granular activated carbon (GAC) removes gasses, chlorine, dyes, heavy metals, disinfectants, pesticides, sodium hypochlorite, odors, undesirable tastes, and other contaminants.
- Then, catalytic high-activity carbon (HAC) reduces free chlorine and imparts a high polish to the filtered water.
- The high-density garnet filter media will filter down to the 10-20 micron range, and the patented HALO ION Inline Water Conditioner will soften your water and reduce the lime scale and corrosion.
- The Halo 5 system is available in four sizes, including a commercial system with a three million-gallon capacity.
- The installation process is extremely simple, and units are available at a reasonable price.
- If you need to eliminate chlorine, harmful microorganisms, and heavy metals, HALO 5 is the best filter for the job.
2. 3M Aqua-Pure AP904
- The Aqua-Pure AP904 whole-house wa ter filter system has a maximum flow rate of 20 gallons per minute and, like HALO’s smallest model, a 100,000-gallon filter capacity.
- According to some reviews, the filter doesn’t last very long compared to other top-notch filter systems, but it does have a 25-year warranty as added protection.
- (It’s also worth noting that the rate at which a filter system wears out depends on its usage, water conditions, and other factors in the filtration process).
- The 904 model comes with NSF standard certification, and it does require professional installation.
- It can treat water or soften water as required, but it’s not a good water purification system for well water.
3. Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter
- We like this home water filtration system because it has a large capacity.
- You only need to buy replacement filters every three years or so, which makes it a breeze to maintain. On the downside, it’s a large unit and will take up counter space.
- If you are looking for a home water filter system that is easy to use and economical, this is a good choice.
- The Big Berkey whole-house filter relies on gravity instead of pumps or electricity, and it’s fully transportable.
- The filtration system uses an ion exchange and carbon filter to remove more than 200 contaminants, including bacteria, heavy metals, pesticides, and others.
- It’s made from stainless steel, holds up to 2.25 gallons at a time, and comes with extra filters, so you don’t need to hunt for replacements any time soon.
- However, if you have a small home, you may find this takes up too much space for your liking.
4. APEC 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- Unlike other contaminants, you can’t smell or taste lead in your drinking water, which poses a hidden health risk in your home.
- If this heavy metal has been detected in your water supply, this is a good solution to consider.
- The APEC 3-Stage water filter will remove sediment, ru st, lead, and heavy metals with a KDF and carbon filter, which takes on hydrogen sulfide and chlorine to cleanse the water.
- It can filter up to 100,000 gallons of water before you need to change the cartridges and comes with a 15 GPM flow rate. On the downside, it can’t filter bacteria.
5. Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter System
Under-sink filtration systems mean that you can drink clean, filtered water straight from the faucet.
They are also easy enough to install on your own without a plumber.
The system is certified by NSF and can reduce a specific set of contaminants in the drinking water, including chlorine, lead, and heavy metals.
Natural minerals, however, will not be removed, ensuring that your water is healthier and tastes great.
This under-sink filter is easy to replace, with a built-in shut-off valve that enables easy maintenance.
You don’t need to shut off your water supply when you replace the filter cartridge.
There’s also no need to replace the plastic housing, just the inside cartridge, making it a good choice for eco-friendly homeowners.
It doesn’t take up any counter space or form a bulky eyesore on your faucets, but on the downside, you will need to go through the effort and hassle of replacing the inner filter every three to six months.
6. Pur Plus Faucet Mount Water Filtration System
- A faucet mount is another easy way to get your filtered water straight from the faucet.
- The Pur Plus Faucet Mount uses the ion exchange, activated carbon filter method to remove pollutants such as lead and mercury, along with chlorine.
- It’s very inexpensive ($20 or so) and can be installed on your own without using a plumber (or getting out your tools).
- There’s an off/on switch that gives you control over the filter and has a light that alerts you whenever the filter needs replacement.
- Expect to replace the filter once every three months. On the downside, this system doesn’t work with a pull-down or handheld faucets.
7. Express Water 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- The Express Water 3 Stage Whole House Water Filter is a useful system if you live in an area wit h hard water, like well water, or if your plumbing systems are prone to collecting dirt and sediment.
- The system will provide clean water and may even extend the life of your pipes and appliances (like washing machines and dishwashers).
- The whole house water filter will remove pebbles, heavy metals, rust, pesticides, dirt, sand, and lead from your water.
- This model has a high flow rate, which won’t impede your water pressure, and the filter only needs replacing once or twice a year.
- On the downside, it will require professional installation and is a lot more expensive to buy than a faucet mount or under sink option.
8. SoftPro Water Systems Whole House Upflow Catalytic Carbon Filter
- This water filter will remove most contaminants and impurities using a catalytic carbon filter.
- It has a 1 million gallon filtering capacity and a lifespan of up to 10 years. It’s extremely eco-friendly and doesn’t require electricity or produce wastewater.
- On the downside, it has to be purchased through a SoftPro dealer and will not soften hard water.
- It also isn’t capable of removing dissolved solids – a UV filter has to be purchased separately at an additional cost.
- This content was created by hawthornephc.com. If you see this on another site, it has been stolen.
Water filters can improve the quality of your drinking water and protect your pipes and appliances.
By removing sediment, harsh chemicals, and volatile organic compounds from your water, you’ll enjoy cleaner, clearer, and better-tasting water all year round.
Look for a filter that removes the contaminants found in your system and requires little to no maintenance (like the Halo 5).
Once you try it, you’ll be amazed at the difference it can make in your home.
- How to Test For Sewer Gas - February 6, 2024
- How to Treat Sewer Gas Poisoning? Know the Optimal Solution - January 25, 2024
- The Silent Killer: Can Sewer Gas Kill You in Your Sleep? - January 13, 2024